Veggie Pasta with Stuffed Mushrooms + Zucchini Noodles
Oct 06, 2020
I am a mad scientist/amatuer culinary artist in the kitchen🔪🎨. I measure in pinches (taste-testing predominantly) + rarely read recipes. If I do, I barely read them in full. Perhaps it's a patience issue, but I prefer to allow my imagination + creativity take the lead. As I was checking out at the grocery store the other day, an image on the cover of a food magazine caught my eye. It had roasted baby tomatoes, macaroni pasta + veggies, all coated in a thickened tomato paste-like sauce. All I needed was one glance to spark my imagination of how to create my own version at home. I gotta say, it turned out scrumptious! And while my husband usually loves what I cook, he doesn't love leftovers. BUT.. he ended up liking this meal so much that he took it for lunch the next day. Win!🏆
So here it is folks! This dish can be made sans (without) the gluten or dairy. See recipe below.
Preheat oven to 375' F
- Small block of melted Earth Balance
- 1 Package of Organic Mushrooms (these are baby bellas)
- 1 TBSP Sesame Oil (can sub any oil of preference)
- Fresh Basil - small handful, finely chopped
- 2 TBSP Majestic Garlic Spread (can add more to taste!)
- Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 links of Field Roast Vegan Italian Sausage - cut into tiny pieces (contains gluten)
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
Sans the Dairy + Gluten::
- Sub: Treeline Onion + Chive Cashew cheese
- Sub: 1/2 small, diced + 1 clove chopped garlic + a few dashes of Italian seasoning
- Start with the shroomies. Add melted butter to baking dish first, and then remove the stems from the mushrooms and place the caps inside of a baking dish or pan, upside down. Tap a very small amount of balsamic vinegar inside each mushroom cap and set aside.
- FILLING: Dice up the stems + Italian sausage and sauté on medium heat in sesame oil until cooked. Sub onion, garlic + Italian seasoning if making w/o gluten. Add majestic garlic spread to cooked ingredients in the sauté pan and mix thoroughly.
- Once filling is ready, spoon into mushroom caps. Top with shredded parmesan (or cashew cheese) and bake for about 10-15 mins. (Cook longer if needed).
- Once cooked, top with chopped basil and Víola! A crowd pleaser for sure!
Roasted Veggies + Sauce:
- 2 cups (give or take) of baby tomatoes
- Yellow Squash cut into pieces
- Yellow Bell Pepper cut into pieces
- Small red onion chopped into large pieces
- 1-2 TBSP of sesame oil (or oil of your choice)
- 1-2 cans of organic tomato paste
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning
Add all veggies + oil to a baking dish or cast iron pan and cook alongside your shroomies. Your veggies may take slightly longer than your mushrooms, so stay tuned in to your dish and check in often. Veggies are done usually when baby tomatoes crack open a bit. That's the YUMS!
When done roasting, remove from oven and stir in tomato paste + Italian seasoning with veggies. Salt to taste.
- 3 large Zucchini Squash, spiralized
- Submerge your zucchini spirals into a large pot of fresh, boiling water. Boil for approx 5 mins, or to taste. Noodle temperament can have a slight 'crunch' if you wish, or cook longer until level of softness is desired
- Strain when complete
Layer your noodles on the bottom, top with roasted veggies in tomato sauce and crown your dish with stuffed mushrooms! Use your own palate, creativity and imagination to modify, deduct or add to this recipe as desired!